Space Kitchen Volunteer
We are looking for a friendly and welcoming person to volunteer in our lovely kitchen.
The Space Kitchen Café & Kitchen Volunteer supports our community café and kitchen by getting involved in a range of duties including customer service, cooking, baking, making barista style coffees, cleaning, and general kitchen tasks.
Our kitchen and café team is lead by our Kitchen Manager who sets the tasks of the day and then buddies team members up to work on set tasks. So when you start at 10am you will be given something to work on, and will be supported by your buddy. Once you feel comfortable with the tasks it could be you leading and supporting someone else!
You will also be given a set lunch break in your 4 hour shift and can enjoy a hot meal and drink. To do this volunteer role you need to either have, or be willing to work through, your REHIS level 1 food hygiene course which is the industry standard qualification in food hygiene.
Benefits to volunteers
- Experience of core catering skills including; Barista, kitchen duties, food preparation and customer service
- Learning cookery and baking to a professional standard
- Experience being part of a café with an experienced team
- Accredited training in Food Hygiene (REHIS)
- Improved confidence and communication through team working
- Good habits of working: timekeeping, attendance, professional relationships
- References for future employers
- Travel expenses covered and a delicious hot breakfast or lunch on each shift
- Support meetings with a dedicated Manager
- Support with next steps in terms of finding work, education or volunteering
- Motivated to volunteer in a catering environment
- Motivated and open to learn new skills
- Caring towards others and interested in helping others learn
- Ability to listen to and take advice & direction from staff
- Reliable and able to commit to 1 set day per week in the agreed hours
- Able to turn up every week, and give 48 hours’ notice if not able to attend
- Respect towards other people regardless of background or abilities
- Dress professionally with good personal hygiene
- Willing to apply food hygiene standards at all times (once these are understood)
- Polite and friendly to customers
Volunteers will be provided with an induction to the organisation and will be provided role specific training, working along side a member of staff to get an understanding of the role. Volunteers will also be provided with regular support & supervision throughout their volunteering term.
Flexibility & Commitment
A minimum of 1 day per week (Mon-Sat) 10am-2pm.
The Broomhouse Hub, EH11 3RH and potentially other areas in South West Edinburgh
Volunteers can claim for travel expenses by completing a simple form and providing receipts (where applicable).